The Top 10 Modules Drupal Users Are Watching
A few weeks ago, I introduced a new "Favorite Modules" feature on Drupal Modules as a way for users to easily tag interesting modules for later review. The modules are saved in the user's favorites list, and that list can be shared with others.
Now you're probably thinking it would be interesting to see which modules are favorited most often.
Well, The early results are in, and there's a few surprises! In fact, you'd probably never guess who's sitting at number one.
Here's the current Top Ten list, direct from the user community:
- Google Analytics
- Content Construction Kit (CCK)
- Drupal Administration Menu
- Content Templates (Contemplate)
So, what interesting trends can we pull from this data? Here's a few thoughts:
- Google Analytics is really popular with Drupal users.
- A significant number of people either don't have access to cron or don't understand how to use it.
- Many users rely on the Contemplate module instead of real template files, despite template files being much easier to maintain in the long run. I suspect most users would switch if they knew how simple it really was.
- Users need better image handling, and ImageCache does a nice job of it.
- Panels 2 is getting a lot of buzz lately.
It's still a bit early in the life of this new list, and I'm sure the results will change over time, but already, there's much to learn.